Skip to main content

How FMiM has Changed Since its Release

The release of my remake of Five Minutes in Minecraft (internally referenced as FMiM-R, thank you very much) was quite monumental to me. You see, technically, it's the first project I had ever actually put out there that I was happy with.
In my mind, the map was done, and had been released, and anyone could play it. Do you know how scary that is? Each and every one of my previous Minecraft maps have had me there to act as a supervisor, so if anything went wrong I could spam just the right commands and fix problems at the snap of a finger.
But now, if anything went wrong...there would be nobody. People would have a bad experience and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

So imagine my horror when I actually opened the map from a local server instead of my usual singleplayer test and found that my custom resource pack didn't load, doors and trapdoors on the map had been screwed up by testers, and the cameras - one of my selling points! - just flat-out refused to function.
And the map already had three downloads.
We're at 400 as of writing this. The map has just seen the release of what I intend to be its final update, and I'm ready to call it a day and make other things. What has come from making this?


Pictured: The 'G Block' map, based on a detached classroom from my old high school.

I'll start with datapacks. They're incredibly useful! I have a lot of things stored in functions that can be run from anywhere and don't require towering chains of 12 command blocks for every single map - and changing them is easy as. Definitely good for the future.

I've also chosen to put a little bit of my past on display in the form of an in-game museum, which is never good. I've a slight issue in that the itsMiatch that made the first FMiM back in 2015 is not the itsMiatch that's speaking now: We are two different people, and not in a subjective 'people grow and change' way, either.
I hope that the decision to do this will show to people why FMiM has such significance to me. It's been the project of my adolescence (well, second to my flagship thing that I'm not telling anyone about).

Will I make a sequel? I originally did intend to, but that became Version 1d instead. I definitely want to port the main FMiM datapack to 1.16 or another future version and make a game with plenty more maps and playable animatronics, but for now I'm content with my in-progress book and video game.



Comments