Skip to main content

My First Released Minecraft Datapack

So there's a little bit of a global pandemic going on and I've had some time on my hands. What have I been doing? Making videos? Of course not, this is me we're talking about. Going mad? Of course not, I actively sate my social needs by specifically not talking to people.

Instead, I developed a mild interest in Minecraft speedrunning. Most people who still follow the game's community may have heard of Dream, a coder who decided to form a plan to become very popular on YouTube and had it turn out successfully. He creates spigot plugins that alter the way the game works and tries to beat the Ender Dragon with his friends while wacky things happen around them.

It should come as a surprise to nobody that my response to these videos was to play the snooty contrarian until the trend died and only then jump on the decrepit bandwagon.

Now, I'm really not good at making spigot plugins, in fact I didn't even realise we were on spigot (what happened to Craftbukkit, can someone let me know?), so instead I made some datapacks that do almost the same thing. At the moment I have three functional ones but one's really laggy so I might not release it. I spent the past couple of days making the one I'm about to present, which also has deep and personal history relevant to my brand identity that I never finished and released (you're not the only one who sees a pattern).


In the background there is Perry! He came about when I was making another map that never got released, got bored, and forced my friends to run away as he ominously hovered closer. He got to be the star of a minigame map that was never released of course, and has finally made his way into a datapack.

What's the objective of Perry's Datapack? Well, it's to run away from him. And also beat the Ender Dragon, but mostly run away from him.

Perry can do many things, including glow, levitate, and banish you from existence. He chases you across dimensions. It's multiplayer-compatible, so he chases your friends, too. He can even completely murder other creatures for you if you position yourself correctly.

For a first foray into standalone datapacks, I think I've done fairly well. I even have a configuration menu that you can play with before your run.

Doing this has also helped me to refine my minecraft-running skills and I've since beaten the Ender Dragon for the third and fourth time recently. Before that, my first time was a little while ago when I decided I should just go and do it and managed in 2 hours and 43 minutes, according to the stats menu.

Basically I've found out how to get through Minecraft quickly. I like that, it's cool, and it's also cool to watch my friends improve as they do it too. So maybe I should make a video on this. It'll help promote the thing, might get me 2 more viewers than usual, is fun to make, and is a nice distraction from all of my other projects that I forgot about during this period of hyperfixation.


Comments